Thursday, June 2, 2011

Daddy helped make jam.

We've made jam with fruit picked from our property already!  The rhubarb is gone crazy and if I've learned anything from my parent's huge rhubarb patch it's that picking what's ready will help the new stuff come up sooner.  So I've been picking!

Z wanted to make jam so I went online and found a recipe that we modified a little to suit what we had on hand. 

5 cups rhubarb, washed and cut into chunks
1/2 pineapple, crushed
2 C sugar
1 small package of jelly powder  (we used strawberry kiwi because that's all we had on hand)

That's all you need.  The recipe called for a can of crushed pineapple, but since fresh pineapples are on sale this week I happened to have half of one left in the fridge so we used that.

Mix the first three ingredients and leave it for 2 hours.  I think this is to help get some of the moisture out of the rhubarb.  Then boil it for 12 minutes.  Take it off the heat and add the jelly powder.  Mix well to make sure all the granules have dissolved and put it into containers.  It made 2 regular sized mason jars for us.

The kids all tasted it before it went into jars but I waited until last night and had some on homemade bread with peanut butte.  Yummmmmmmmmmm.  I think I would cut down on the sugar a bit next time (maybe 1/4-1/2 cup) but still really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment