Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chocolate chunk banana bread.

I've finally opened a box of cook books!!!  After a lot of organizing, and the first thing I grabbed is my trusty notebook.  I'm sure everyone has a book of handwritten recipes that they go to before anything else.  Here's mine.

Lots of papers sticking out the top but I know exactly where to go to find my favorites.  I've had this for nearly 20 years.

After a great deal on bananas earlier in the week I decided to make a big batch of banana bread.  But not just plain banana bread.  I"ve been craving some kind of chocolate desert so I took some chocolate easter bunnies out of the freezer to add to my recipe.  I picked up about 20 bunnies at one of the local department stores right after Easter...I think I paid 10 cents each and into the freezer they went.  It's a lot less expensive than bags of milk chocolate chips!

No pics of the banana bread, since it's disappearing quicker than I ever thought.  Z wanted it cut right out of the oven and slathered with butter.  H says he doesn't want any but then eats half of my slice with huge bites that a 2 year old should never be able to take.

I'll give credit to my Godmother for this recipe.  I'm not sure that it's hers for sure, or where she got it, but it works out every time and it's yummy.

1/2 C melted butter
2 eggs
2 mashed bananas
2 tsp sour milk (just add a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar to your milk)
2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt

Combine first 5 ingredients.  In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients then add to wet ingredients.  Place in a buttered and floured loaf pan.  Bake for 1 hour in a preheated 300degree oven.  Add chocolate chips/chunks or nuts if you like.  Whatever you think would taste good with bananas.

**When C was making her banana bread she would always mash the bananas a few hours or even a day before.  They release a bit more liquid and the bread always seemed to stay really moist.**

And this recipe makes really good muffins too but you have to adjust your baking time.  Maybe 1/2 hour to 40 mins.

Enjoy

Next desert I think will be my mom's recipe for Rhubarb Delight. I'm hoping to try it over the weekend.  It's cookie bottom, custard/rhubarb middle, and merangue top. It's a big recipe so you need a crowd or a big appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment