Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My twist on things.

I've imposed a diet on the family this week, and it's only because I'm so unhappy with my own weight.  Of course, I'm craving something sweet to have with a cup of tea, so I started to do a batch of my grandmothers cookies minus the chocolate chips.  Then I thought 'hey I have some wheat germ in the cupboard' and I toasted some of that and added it in.  It needed a little something extra so I threw in a spoonful of instant coffee. Zoe keeps telling me (Thanks to the host of Best Recipes Ever) that fat is flavor, but right now we're cutting down on fat so I needed to find something else for a flavor boost.

At this point, I hadn't actually looked at the original recipe and I added too much milk so I had to add extra flour and it ended up being a cake instead of a batch of cookies.But that's ok because it's not too bad.

No picture since the camera is stowed away along with most other things in the house (realtor showing this evening) but maybe tomorrow I'll have a chance to snap a picture before it's all gone.

In the mean time, here's the recipe for you all to try out.

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp - 1 tbsp instant coffee (depending on how much you want it to taste like coffee)
1/3-1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
Mix all this together and set aside.

Cream together 1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
add 1 egg and 1 can evaporated milk.   I think you could probably use about 3/4 cup of regular milk as well but evaporated milk was all I had on hand tonight.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.  When I did it it was like a banana bread consistency.  Bake at 375F for 30 minutes.  Check it with a tooth pick or cake tester to make sure it's done.

I lined the bottom of a round pan with parchment paper and it popped right out no problem.  You can let it cool completely but I cut it after a few minutes. 

I hope some of you try it and let me know how you like it.  My kids seemed pretty happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment