Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Great weekend!

I got to spend the weekend with my wonderful family as usual but this weekend we drove to see my aunt and uncle who I don't get to see nearly enough.  It was thanksgiving weekend and a perfect time to take a little post-summer road trip. 

Of course we at too much while we were there but that always happens when we have jiggs dinner.  If you're not familiar with jiggs dinner you don't know what you're missing.  It's basically a traditional Newfoundland boiled dinner consisting of salt beef or pork, potatoes, carrots, turnip, cabbage, peas pudding, and we usually do a roasted chicken and a blueberry pudding.  Everything is put in a pot and boiled for hours. I found this link which has a big of an explanation about where jiggs dinner came from and a recipe at the end but everyone does it just a little bit different and I can't imagine trying to go by a recipe, but then again, I grew up with it.

Anyway, we had the jiggs dinner and a roast turkey and homemade bread that I brought with me.  Even Zoe tried some turnip and cabbage which she never eats.  Yummy!  and I brought some apple blueberry loaf that we picked at after the dinner dishes were cleaned away.

I'm anxious to get back to baking this week but I need some down time to get over the 4 hour drive back home.

Thanks to Aunt L and Uncle L for the great weekend. I can't wait to do it again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment